Sunday 28 November 2010

Research

These are the eclectic Game and film narrative styles that I feel influence me.
·         Tanzk Girl (James Hewitt ) for its weird alternative wasteland characters and for the strange eclectic fashion sense on the characters, which have lots of random badges, dangling jewellery, military hats. I want to make my characters have their own identities and stand out from the dark environments and plain clothed enforcers.
·         Soylent Green, for its strong narrative that shows how far people will go when civilisation is on the brink of collapse. With high population and low resources, it questions are morality and speaks a harsh truth.
·         Running man , What I want to take from running man is the game show mentality, where the public have become so de-sensitised that they wouldn’t react to people killing each other for entertainment on television.
·         Blade Runner the beautifully, dingy, dark environments where it’s always dark, always raining and has a sense of overcrowding on the streets where the public know about the pending doom.
·         Judge Dread I want to take some of the environment and time period, lack of supplies and overpopulation in the mega cities again.
·         Fifth Element again similar environment and gritty, urban time period.
·         Loco Rocco’s Simple fun and beautiful art direction, and its tilt controls that move the environment to move the character.
·         Little Big Planet for its randomness and use of stickers 
·         Limbo for it’s alternative art direction and puzzle solving throughout the game
·         Mirrors Edge’s I like mirrors edge for its modern urban style and a small minority of people fighting against the authorities which is essentially what I want my game to be about.
From this mismatch of ideas the best way I summed up the genera was as an Alternative, Urban Scifi Grunge whatever that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment